Blood Alcohol Level (BAL)

 

If you encounter someone who has the below symptoms, please visit an urgent care or call the emergency number.

Unconscious or semi-consciousness.
Slow respiration (breaths) of eight or less per minute or lapses between breaths of more than eight seconds.
Cold, clammy, pale or bluish skin.

These symptoms indicate the person is suffering from alcohol poisoning. Alcohol poisoning is a serious condition and can have fatal results.

We all understand Penn State has a party tradition, and its okay to let out some steam from school every once in a while. However, if you think one of your friends has had a little too much, be responsible and make sure he/she return home safely. If you believe your friend has alcohol poisoning, DO NOT HESITATE to call for help, his/her life could be in danger.

What Happens at Different BAC Levels?
Below is a chart of Blood Alcohol Level and its corresponding a\effects

DUI, DWI

Legal limit to operate a vehicle is 0.08% (BAC)

Like any other criminal charge, a person cannot be charged with DUI
until he/she is proven guilty through the defendants own plea or jury
trial. In most states including Pennsylvanian, first time offense DUI is
classified as a misdemeanor but can be punished up to 6 months in
jail along with up to 2000 dollars fine. Many states also require a
minimum jail sentences of several days on a first offense.

For a DUI to be classified as a felony, either because this is the driver’s third or fourth DUI or because the driver killed or injured someone. A felony level DUI often jail the driver upto several years, although it really depend on the state law and the discretion of the judge.

After consuming alcohol, there are only two ways it can leave the body. 90 percent of alcohol gets metabolized in the liver and the other 10 percent leave from breath, perspiration and urine.

Alcohol leaves the body at a conservative rate of about 0.5 oz. alcohol per hour or .015 percent of blood alcohol content (BAC) per hour. This is an average rate at which the liver can metabolize (burn off) alcohol. The result is that it can take many times longer to sober up than it took to become intoxicated.

Trained and experienced police officers can develop remarkably accurate assessments of individual levels of alcohol impairment. However, it is virtually impossible for the casual observer to judge another’s BAC without the use of a precision breath alcohol tester.

Advertisements